FAME is the distinctive voice of archaeological employers and managers, and the only organisation solely devoted to representing their interests within the profession and the business world.
We represent employers of one in three archaeological practitioners across the UK. Our membership includes around 50 archaeological practices, from small consultancies to the largest contractors, from commercial companies, universities and local authorities in England, Scotland and Wales.
We started life in 1975 as the Standing Conference of Archaeological Unit Managers, before changing our name to FAME in 2008, to reflect more closely our purpose and membership.
Our aims are to
- Represent the views of archaeological managers and employers within the profession and beyond
- Provide advice, support and information to our members
- Promote safe and healthy working practices within the profession
- Promote best professional practice in employment, fieldwork, publication and archiving
- Promote training and professional development to improve standards within the profession
- Be transparent and accountable to all our members